SUMMER CAMP ANNOUNCEMENT - MAY 15, 2020

An updated announcement regarding the summer of 2020 will be posted on Tuesday, May 26th. Please check back then!

Summer Camp Announcement – May 1, 2020

Parents of 2020 Campers!


I hope this finds you and your families’ healthy and finding small ways to enjoy the extra time spent together.  Every year, when May rolls around, there always seems to be a little extra spark in anticipation of the summer camp season. We spend all year preparing and longing to sing one more silly camp song,  to play one more round of slip n’ slide kickball, and to share in 1 more all camp mass.  


Camp Tekakwitha has served as a ‘home away from home’ for so many campers. It is more than just a place, it’s a community. A community that welcomes every single person for exactly who they are and encourages them to explore and grow into who God has called them to be.  As with every community, we are there to support one another through the good times and the challenging times.



COVID IMPACT:

This year has placed before us an obstacle that is so unpredictable and has many moving parts. The health and safety of our campers, staff, and community is our number 1 priority in all that we do. We have been hard at work exploring all options/possibilities while ensuring every necessary precaution is taken. We have been collaborating with the Shawano County Health Department, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, The American Camp Association, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, our very own medical director, and camps in the surrounding area to make the most informed decision that is in the best interest of all.


Upon collecting all of the information and spending much time in prayer, we have decided to make the difficult decision to Cancel Sessions 1 – 4 for the 2020 Summer Camp Season. As of right now, we are planning on running sessions 5-9 starting July 5th, 2020 and going through August 7th, 2020. The American Camp Association is currently working with the CDC to produce both guidelines and best practices for all camps for the 2020 season. Once that document is released (within the next 2 weeks), we will have a better understanding if we are able to safely hold sessions 5 – 9. Our goal is to re-evaluate and connect with you again by May 15th, 2020.



HOW ARE YOUR CAMP RESERVATIONS AFFECTED?

There is a lot of uncertainty right now and we are doing all that we can to navigate these murky waters and come to the best possible decision for our community. We understand that so much is being thrown your way right now and we want to make this process as seamless as possible for you. We know there are so many who are going through transitions with their jobs and potentially sacrificing a lot to save money. We would like to get your refunds to you as quickly as possible. All monies will be returned back to you via an actual check from the Diocese of Green Bay. Unfortunately, at this time, Ultra Camp is unable to transition the funds you may have paid for via E-Check directly back into your account.


Additionally, many families have been asking questions regarding deferring the funds to 2021, switching to another week, or even ways to help camp.

With that being said, we are giving all families four options to choose from:  

  1. Full Refund for Session of Camp
  2. Switch Camper to a different week
  3. Defer payment to my 2021 registration
  4. Donate part of my registration to Camp Tek

We are asking EVERYONE from Sessions 1 -4 to please fill out this very simple Google Form so we are able to track parent’s wishes via paper and ensure we are honoring all requests as best as we’re able. Additionally, if you currently have kids signed up for Session 5 – 9 and you are not comfortable sending them --- we will honor a full refund for you as well. Please fill out the Google Form.



HOW CAN YOU HELP?

As you may or may not know, Camp Tekakwitha is a 501c3 and we do everything that we can every single year to provide the best experience possible. Most of our income is generated by summer camp and so without a few weeks, we are going to be doing everything we can to keep camps ahead above waters. Many folks have asked how they can help and so we wanted to provide this option for them. We would greatly appreciate any/all gifts. Please know, however, that we, by no means, expect anyone to donate knowing the financial burdens everyone is facing.


Although this summer is going to look significantly different than originally planned, we know that the Lord is with us always and the rallying of our community will keep the energy of the summer at an all-time high. Please continue to pray for us as we continue to discern and prepare for the shortened summer season.  Our summer staff has been remarkable through this situation and I know they’re eager to spend time (even if just a few weeks) out here this summer. Know of our prayers for you and your families – prayers of health and safety, prayers for the uncertainty, and prayers for anything else you’d like us to offer up.


St. Kateri Tekakwitha……pray for us!


Rebecca Sievers, Camp Director

rsievers@gbdioc.org

920-615-0412